By Robert L. Weber
This anthology presents an perception into the wit and mind of the clinical brain via a mix of a laugh and critical contributions written via and approximately scientists. The contributions checklist altering attitudes inside technology and replicate the interactions of technology with society.
Read or Download A Random Walk in Science, PDF
Similar molecular biology books
Rin and Ami were skipping molecular biology classification all semester, and Professor Moro has had enough-he's sentencing them to summer time tuition on his deepest island. yet they're in shop for a different lesson. utilizing Dr. Moro's digital fact laptop to go back and forth contained in the human physique, they'll get a close-up examine the interesting global of molecular biology.
Join them within the Manga advisor to Molecular Biology, and research all approximately DNA, RNA, proteins, amino acids, and extra. alongside the best way, you'll see chemical reactions first-hand and meet wonderful characters like Enzyme guy and Drinkzilla, who convey how the liver metabolizes alcohol.
Together with Ami and Rin, you'll research all about:
* The organelles and proteins inside of cells, and the way they aid mobile features
* The techniques of transcription and translation, and your genes' function in synthesizing proteins
* The items that make up our genetic code, like nucleotides, codons, introns, and exons
* The techniques of DNA replication, mitosis and cytokinesis
* Genetic know-how like transduction and cloning, and the position of molecular biology in medication
Whether you would like a molecular biology refresher or you're simply enthusiastic about the technology of existence, The Manga advisor to Molecular Biology provide you with a uniquely enjoyable and informative introduction.
BIOS speedy Notes in Biochemistry, Fourth version, is the precise textual content for undergraduates trying to find a concise advent to the topic, or a learn advisor to take advantage of ahead of examinations. every one subject starts with a precis of crucial facts-an perfect revision checklist-followed by way of an outline of the topic that specializes in middle details, with transparent, basic diagrams which are effortless for college students to appreciate and remember in essays and tests.
This publication compiles new findings in plant electrophysiology from the paintings of across the world well known specialists within the fields of electrophysiology, bio-electrochemistry, biophysics, sign transduction, phloem delivery, tropisms, ion channels, plant electrochemistry, and membrane shipping. beginning with a ancient creation, the publication reports tools in plant electrophysiology, introducing such subject matters as measuring membrane potentials and ion fluxes, path-clamp process, and electrochemical sensors.
The previous twenty years have visible a diffusion of curiosity in glycoproteins. From being a borderline sector among carbohydrate and protein chemistry, it has turn into proper to quite a lot of organic phenomena. the purpose of the booklet is to explain strategies which might be used to respond to a number of the easy questions on glycosylated proteins.
Additional resources for A Random Walk in Science,
To quantify the transport of cargoes to axon and or dendrites, generate kymographs (Fig. 5d, e). Re-slice the isolated axon or dendrite stack (Image/Stacks/Reslice). Generate a Z-projection from the re-sliced stack (Image/Stacks/Z-projection) (Fig. 5e). 5. Stationary particles are observed as vertical lines; anterograde and retrograde transport are observed as lines with negative and positive slopes, respectively (Fig. 5e). 6. Anterograde and retrograde transport can be manually represented by removing the stationary particles from the kymograph (Fig.
Tap the plate on its sides many times to distribute the cells evenly across each well and place in a CO2 incubator at 37 °C. 16. Pre-warm a sufficient volume of neuronal maintenance medium (at least 1 mL per coverslip) to 37 °C. 17. After 3–4 h, check that most cells have attached to the coverslips, gently remove the neuronal plating medium and any unattached cells using a pipet, and replace with 1 mL per well of neuronal maintenance medium. Neurons may be maintained in this original medium in a CO2 incubator for several days before transfection.
6. 5), and filter the solution. 7. Laminin solution (5 μg/mL, 100 mL): Dilute 1 mL of laminin from mouse Engelbreth-Holm-Swarm (EHS) sarcoma (Roche) with 100 mL of Hank’s medium and filter the solution. Store at 4 °C when not in use. Laminin can also be reused many times with the same precautions as for poly-L-lysine. 8. Neuronal plating medium (1×, 500 mL): Add 50 mL horse serum (heat inactivated) and 5 mL penicillin–streptomycin (10,000 U/mL) to 450 mL of 1× Dulbecco’s Modified Eagle Medium (D-MEM, high glucose, HEPES, no phenol red) and filter.